New Volunteers: Housing Law Volunteer Opportunities
Follow the links below to get more information on these volunteer opportunities, including trainings, time commitments, and more. For more information, contact VLN’s Housing Resource Attorney, Muria.
Advice and Brief Services
1. Hennepin County Housing Court Project: provide advice and brief services on housing law matters to clients on a first-come, first serve basis.
2. Ramsey County Housing Court Project: provide advice and brief services during eviction hearing calendars strictly to clients with eviction hearings in Ramsey county on that day.
3. Anoka County Housing Court Project:provide advice and brief services on housing law matters to clients on a first-come, first serve basis.
Full Representation Opportunities
1. Rent Escrow/Repair Litigation: represent tenants in Minneapolis dealing with mold, pest infestations, and/or other severe repair issues in their apartments.
2. Hennepin County Eviction Representation Project (ERP): connect with and provide full representation to Hennepin County tenants during initial eviction hearings.
Current Volunteers: Housing Law Volunteer Resources and Information
Code Enforcement Manual: Hennepin County AND Saint Paul, MN, by Steve Swanson
This Health and Safety Code Enforcement Manual is intended as a resource for Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) volunteer lawyers and others representing low-income tenant families who justly seek a safe and affordable place to live, but who find themselves in rental property in need of repairs and other interventions to bring the property into compliance with state and local health and safety laws. The Manual is also available as a resource for community organizations and governmental agencies seeking to assist tenant families living in Minneapolis, other Hennepin County communities, and Saint Paul.
Department of Regulatory Services Website: Tools and Information on licensing, fees, and violations in Minneapolis.
2018 Eviction Representation Study Results, by Luke Grundman and Muria Kruger