On-demand CLEs can be a convenient way to learn more and fulfill your CLE requirements from the comfort of your own office (or home). Below are on-demand CLE options from VLN, Legal Services State Support, and the Practising Law Institute (eligible for credit in MN).
VLN currently offers the following on-demand CLEs:
- Representing Pro Bono Clients (1.0 credit): Three videos that, together, constitute one hour of learning. One elimination of bias on-demand credit is approved (Event Code 256610), expires 4/18/2020.
- 1.0 hour: Recent Laws and Policies which have Promoted Racism (1.0 credit): an overview of two specific ways in which institutionalized racism continues to significantly impact people of color today. CLE event code 257065, expires 5/1/2020.
- Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which freed the slaves and prohibited slavery (unless as punishment for a crime). CLE event code 279412, expires 10/15/2021. – documentary on streaming Netflix (1.5 credits): this film explores the intersection of race, justice and mass incarceration in the United States;” it is titled after the
- 1.5 hours: Cracking the Codes – The System of Racial Inequity (1.5 standard credits). A free YouTube video featuring numerous people telling stories about their experiences of race and racism. Created by filmmaker Shakti Butler, it explores how racism is based on history, culture and identity. The internal workings of the system of racism and economic power are bias – both conscious and unconscious; privilege – which should be equally distributed among all people but is not; and internalized racialization – “those places where we absorb the messages about who we are and where we belong, that we’re either aware of or not aware of, that we’re either resisting or succumbing to.” CLE event code 258815, expires 06/20/20.
- 2.0 hours: Breaking Poverty Barriers to Equal Justice* (2.0 EOB credits): The complete streaming video from the nationally-acclaimed Breaking Poverty Barriers to Equal Justice curriculum. This features Dr. Donna Beegle before a live audience of judges and attorneys sharing the experiences of those living in generational poverty, addressing common questions and misconceptions, and sharing concrete suggestions for how pro bono attorneys can increase their clients’ access to the justice system. CLE event code 279258, expires 10/9/2021.
- Ramsey County Housing Court Clinic Volunteer Training (1.75 CLE credits applied for): An 8-video recording of volunteer training hosted at Southern MN Legal Services for the Ramsey County Housing Court Clinic. Please review the following additional materials:
To watch the applicable on-demand CLE, click on the link above. After you have watched the on-demand CLE, please register with VLN (we need to maintain these records for the MN Board of Continuing Legal Education) and then report your attendance (using the event code) to the MN Board of Continuing Legal Education.
Additionally, the Practising Law Institute offers a number of free on-demand CLEs related to pro bono work, many of which are eligible for credit in MN.
*For more information about the complete Breaking Poverty Barriers to Equal Justice curriculum, or to schedule a training at your firm, please contact [email protected].