VLN is providing criminal expungement screenings and services by telephone.
To request assistance for criminal expungement services, please call our regular intake line at 612-752-6677. The intake line is open 9am to 1pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
All in-person VLN criminal expungement seminars are currently on hold.
VLN offers monthly criminal expungement seminars in Minneapolis and the greater metro area. At each seminar, you will hear a brief presentation about Criminal Expungement in Minnesota and then meet with volunteer attorneys who can answer your questions and may be able to connect you with further assistance. Due to the structure of the seminar, please arrive at the listed start times.
- Your income must be below 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines to receive advice
- You must be off of probation
- You must not owe any fines or restitution to the court
- You must be looking to expunge Minnesota records. VLN cannot directly assist with the expungement of federal or out-of-state records
- You must bring your Minnesota Court records (available at the courthouse). We cannot provide personalized advice or recommend you for further services if we do not have these records
MN Court Records (MNCIS) Only the Case Records Search Results Page is needed: Go to any Minnesota courthouse and ask a court clerk to print the search results page of your criminal cases. Most courthouses will charge you a printing fee of $8.00 to $10.00. You do not need to print each record, just the Case Records Search Results Page, which lists all your cases and case numbers. Records do not need to be certified and must be printed from the courthouse.
Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) Records: This record is not needed to attend a seminar. If you are referred for further service, you will need to get a copy of your BCA record. You can obtain your BCA records in one of two ways.
- 1) Mail a written and notarized request to the BCA that includes:
- your name and date of birth
- any other names you use or have used
- a personal check or money order for $8.00 made payable to “BCA”
- a self-addressed stamped envelope
- You can find a sample BCA form here: http://www.legalrightscenter.org/uploads/2/5/7/3/25735760/bca_record_request.pdf
- 2) You can go to the BCA office and request a copy of your record. The BCA will take your fingerprints and ask you to pay $8.00.
The BCA is located at 1430 Maryland Ave. E., St. Paul, MN 55106
Please note: All VLN criminal expungement seminars are canceled indefinitely. We will update this page when seminars resume.
Please check back to this page for updates before attending a seminar. Thank you.