VLN administers a Habitability Fund which assists tenants who are unable to make court ordered escrow payments in order to pursue their legal claims. The fund is a revolving fund, so any money received back from the litigation must first be used to refund the Fund.

To use the funds, a tenant must:

  1. Be represented by a CMLS, MMLA, SMRLS, ARS, or VLN attorney;
  2. Have a housing court claim in Hennepin, Ramsey or Anoka county, and be unable to pursue it because of a court required escrow payment.
  3. Complete a Habitability Fund Application and Addendum to the Representation Agreement.
  4. Funds are not guaranteed until the application has been approved by VLN.

Questions, and completed applications and addendums, can be directed to VLN’s Housing Program Manager and Resource Attorney at [email protected] or 612-752-6647.