Volunteer Lawyers Network (VLN) provides free legal advice and legal representation to low-income individuals and underserved communities through volunteer attorneys, interpreters, and other legal professionals. VLN is a private non-profit organization affiliated with the Hennepin County Bar Association. VLN’s mission is to protect and promote the basic needs of people in poverty through the power of legal volunteers. VLN envisions a society where everyone has equal access to the legal services essential for stability and well-being.
This position will help immigrants and refugees identify immigration legal solutions through free immigration screenings and services. The Spanish-speaking Immigration Law Case Coordinator gathers necessary information and documentation from clients, works with a staff attorney to prepare the immigration cases for placement with volunteer attorneys, and supports the work of staff and volunteer attorneys to ensure that they stay connected with VLN clients. This Case Coordinator, along with other VLN staff members, is also responsible for responding to requests for free legal assistance and ensuring that potential clients have a quality experience when applying for free legal services.
This is a great position for anyone interested in learning more about how immigration law impacts the everyday lives of low-income Minnesotans and access to justice issues. This position is well-suited for anyone who enjoys communicating with diverse groups of people regarding a wide range of legal issues that commonly affect low-income individuals living in Minnesota.
VLN seeks an applicant who will prepare to become an accredited representative through the Department of Justice process.
- Coordinating and staffing in person clinics that provide screening services, advice, help to complete immigration forms, and referrals.
- Contacting low-income clients to gather relevant and required documentation needed to evaluate their cases for free legal help.
- Collecting and copying documentation, completing forms, assembling filing packets, and coordinating case placement with pro bono attorneys.
- Building relationships with volunteer attorneys and recruiting volunteers to help qualifying clients.
- Answering phone calls to VLN’s client intake line, screening applicants, and signing callers up for the appropriate service.
- Providing a quality experience for applicants and clients (e.g., listening actively and empathetically, asking relevant questions, de-escalates tensions, providing appropriate referrals, clearly explaining next steps, etc.)
- Creating and managing calendars for in-person, remote, and telephone services.
- Managing, monitoring, and closing cases in VLN’s database.
- Attending meetings, collaborating with partners, and conducting outreach activities.
- Assisting VLN staff attorneys and program managers as needed.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Fluency in both the English Spanish. Ability to interpret and translate between English and Spanish required.
- Demonstrated commitment to serving low-income communities and communities of color.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365. (Experience with database or case management systems preferred but not required).
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Prior work or volunteer experience related to VLN’s mission or VLN’s client communities is preferred.
- Prior immigration experience preferred.
The Case Coordinator will be required to come into the office or work off-site at a legal clinic location. Some work may be done virtually.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
VLN offers a competitive compensation package, including:
- Hourly compensation at the rate of $21.00 per hour (40 hours/week) (upon DOJ accreditation this amount will increase).
- Paid Time Off
- IRA Plan with 3% employer contribution
- Healthcare (100% coverage for an employee; option for employees to buy into the lower deductible plan)
- Dental (100% coverage for employees)
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long-term disability insurance
Please note, all plan benefits programs are governed by plan documents. In the event of conflicts, the plan documents govern.
We are accepting applications until the position is filled. Selected applicants will be asked to participate in a remote interview with members of VLN’s leadership and intake teams. Finalists may be invited to participate in a second interview.
Job sharing is not available for this position.
VLN is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other factors prohibited by applicable law. Those with diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Mail cover letter explaining your qualifications, as well as resume, to [email protected]
No phone calls please.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Open until filled