The Renter’s Credit (CRP) 
This time of year tenants ask questions about their Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP), also called the Renter’s Credit or Renter’s Refund. Some basic information:

  • Tenants may be eligible for the renter’s refund if their household income, after subtractions for up to five dependents, is under $57,170. Tenants who are disabled or older than 65 are allowed an additional subtraction of $3,900, and contributions to certain retirement plans may also be subtracted. The total renter’s credit for a household is capped at $2,000.
  • For a tenant to get this refund, the landlord must complete and return to the tenant a CRP. The landlord is required to give tenants a CRP by January 31st.
  • The CRP must be included with the completed Minnesota Property Tax Refund Form M1PR.
  • Filing due date is August 15, 2014 – Returns can be filed up to a year after the due date.
  • If the landlord has not given the tenant their CRP, or has filled it out improperly and refuses to correct it, the tenant can get a Rent Paid Affidavit (RPA) and use it in place of the CRP to get their refund. Make sure that tenants have already made an effort to get their CRP before they get a RPA.

How to get a RPA: Tenants should call the Minnesota Tax Help Line with the following information:

  • Landlord’s name, address and phone number
  • Address of rental unit and county where it is located
  • Whether the unit is an assisted living facility
  • Number of tenants in the unit, dates the tenant rented the unit, and the monthly rent
  • Whether rent is subsidized (Section 8, HUD, etc.)
  • Tenant’s name, current address, and daytime phone number
  • Tenant’s spouse’s name and Social Security number
  • Tenant’s Social Security Number

Minnesota Property Tax Refund for Homeowners 

Homeowners also may be eligible for a Minnesota property tax refund in some situations. Some basic information:

  • Minnesota has two property tax refund programs for homeowners: the Homestead Credit Refund, for homeowners whose household income after subtractions is less than $105,500, and the Special Homestead Credit Refund, available to homeowners of any household income whose property tax has increased by more than 12% from 2013 to 2014. Homeowners may be eligible for one or both, depending on income and the amount of property tax owed.
  • The home must be classified with the county as the owner’s “homestead”, which is the home the owner lives in for tax purposes.
  • To apply for either or both of these refunds, use Minnesota Property Tax Refund Form M1PR.
  • Filing due date is August 15, 2014 – Returns can be filed up to a year after the due date.


Minnesota Tax Help Line: (651) 296-3781 Minnesota Tax Help Line hours of operation are

TTY: Call 711 for Minnesota Relay Monday – Thursday 9:00 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. Friday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

FREE tax help for low income persons: Simply dial 2-1-1 or from a cell phone dial 651-291-0211

Updated by: Tony Morris, VLN Bridge Fellow 

Download the Tip of the Month:

pdfdownload2    March Tip of the Month – Property Tax Refund